Most people will be familiar with the concept of green roofs (also known as living roofs). These have enjoyed a huge surge in popularity over the last few years due to the wide range of benefits that they provide. These include:
- Reduced rainwater runoff
- Enhanced roof insulation properties
- Attractive visual appearance
- Reduction in urban heat island effect
- Enhances roof lifespan by protecting underlying waterproofing system
- Provide green space in urban areas
- Encourage biodiversity
What are Brown Roofs?
Brown roofs are similar to green roofs in that they share many of the same benefits and construction methods. However, when a brown roof is designed, the overriding aim is to encourage biodiversity. Specific biodiversity aims can include:
- Maximise the number of species (biodiversity) living...